This year’s Build A Business Competition is unlike any we’ve ever done before — and there’s one more exciting twist.
Sir Richard Branson himself will be hand picking one additional Shopify business owner to join him on Necker Island for the trip of a lifetime.
And it’s not too late to enter, even if you’re just getting started.
But first, hear from Sir Richard himself about why entrepreneurship contests like the Build A Business Competition are so important to him.
How to Win the Sir Richard Branson Choice Award
For the first time, you don’t need to be the top seller in your category to be a Build A Business winner. Richard Branson will choose one winner from a list of 20 business owners that ranked highest in their categories (based on sales), after each of the main category winners is chosen.
Unlike the main category prizes, the Richard Branson Choice Award is not based solely on having the highest sales; there is also a creativity component. (See the 2014 Build A Business Competition Rules for full details.)
So what do you need to do to get on that top 20 list? You need to brainstorm as many creative ways as possible to ramp up your sales and your online presence.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Use the hashtag #BuildaBiz to show off your shop on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook – we’ll be monitoring the hashtag and sharing stories of notable stores along the way.
- Plan an email marketing campaign to incentivise your mailing list to share your store with their network.
- Offer a special Build A Business discount or flash sale to bring in more sales.
- Write a blog post about what it would mean to you if you won. Feel free to share any strategies you’re using to put yourself ahead of the competition, as long as you feel it doesn’t sacrifice your advantage.
- Film a short video about yourself and your business — be sure to let us know about it so we can share!
The last day to bring in sales for the competition is May 31, 2015, and Richard Branson will choose his winner shortly after the competition closes.
It’s worth a reminder that, if you win, not only will you get to meet our all-star mentors including Richard Branson, Daymond John, Tim Ferriss, Marie Forleo and Seth Godin – you’ll also get to meet the other winners of the competition. They’ll be business owners just like you who built the business of their dreams within the span of a few short months. In fact, last year’s winners – now owners of multi-million dollar companies in many cases – were in your shoes not so long ago.
Here are some words of wisdom from the entrepreneurs who know firsthand what it takes to win this competition.
Haven’t Entered Yet?
If you’re still not sure what your business should be, check out our free guide on how to find a product to sell online. You’ll never know if you have the next million dollar business idea until you try it.
You still have until March 31 to enter the competition, and then you’ll have until May 31 to sell as much as you possibly can.
Once you’ve entered the competition, you’ll be one step closer to spending five days exploring Necker Island and gaining advice from some of the greatest entrepreneurs of our time.
There’s no time to lose – Sign up for the Build A Business Competition today!